Pages

Cavern of Remembrance(click to play,listen to this when you read my blog)

Saturday, May 16, 2009

My philosophical talk with my dad

Me and my dad basically talked for about philosophy for an hour yesterday at night...
I think it is really insightful that I could share it with you guys^^
What? Just because I love games I can't be intelligent?
I will classify the topics so that you can read it easier.

1)About judging good or bad:

This is the the start of the whole conversation. I was talking about Final Fantasy Versus XIII with him and I told him about the phrase in there which I concur a lot:"Nothing is ever good or bad. But due to the judgment by the humans, it fell into those two classifications." And he agreed with me. I think there is no such thing as good or bad before humans came. Because everything is in its cycle. For example, people think wolves are evil because they eat meat, but we humans eat meat more than anybody else. So we cannot really judge because we are on the top of the food chain, we are the most evil existance of all. But then my dad proclaims that there are also good and bad within the "bad" classification, and perhaps we humans are just a part of nature as well. And the concept of "good" and "bad" are not absolutely fixed, it all depends on the perspective of the individual. Because everybody have their own way to look at things, a certain angle. Nobody could really look at a thing in 360 degrees or there will be no differences between us and no dispute in opinions.

2)The meaning of life

My dad thinks that there are 2 types of the meaning of life: one, is that devoting, dedicating and leave a mark in history; two, is to enjoy your life plainly. It really made me confused because I don't believe that the meaning of life would just fall into merely two categories. I believe that the meaning of life is to make your life meaningful to you. No one really knows what it is, though. Because it depends on certain people and their interest. Some people think having a happy normal life would be meaningful, and some people think actually achieving and accomplishing something would be meaning. I argued with my dad that maybe devoting a mark in current society and leaving your footsteps in history IS how a certain person enjoys life, maybe doing that MADE them think that their life is meaningful. I think he agreed with me....but then he said a whole bunch of other arguments that really confused me....I think his main idea was that he approve what I said, and he is not arguing with me about that, but because I didn't understand how he classifies them, he told me how. Although after his speech, I was still clueless. His way of thinking is too profound for me to comprehend. Again, this topic is inspired by FFIX....cuz the point of the whole game is to make Zidane realize what life is, but it doesn't mean that is actually what life is.

3)Cycle of life

It still depends on people's concepts. Like to me, you can only experience life once as YOURSELF. Yes maybe you can goes through karma and start another life, I don't deny it, however, you may not be YOURSELF anymore, your gender may be different, your species may be different, your personality may be different. You would start a whole another life, as a different person. So I think everybody should cherish the experience of THIS life, because you will never ever ever get it back again. Afterwards I inquired my dad that whether he thinks we would re-live another life like in Buddhism but in the lowest term of life and live up to be human again. He thinks we might, but there maybe another higher level of life that we don't know yet and live up to THAT form after we die. Which hops to another topic.(see#5)

4)Whether or not God exists

I wanted to ask my dad that question a long time ago.
As much facts as science have explained, it did not explain everything. There are always something that science/logic cannot explain really well. An example of that, would be miracle. No matter how contradictory those two beliefs are, is there a possibility for science AND gods existing at the same time? My dad's answer is that is completely possible. The unknowns provides us unlimited possibilities. Then I started talking about gods. My opinion is that gods DOES exist, but just not the one(or ones)that humans believe in. First of all, there are too many gods in too many different religions, even in different skin color. I mean, Mohammed, Buddhah, Jesus, Zeus? These are all made up by people(really, no offense)and they just want to believe in them because they have nothing else to believe in. I do not suppose there are enough space for people to accept ALL of them and say that ALL of them are true.(point proven by those millions of Crusades & the big Holocaust happened a long time ago.)Then my dad said that perhaps there is ONE of them that is actually real, and ONE of the prophets in history might've really gotten the enlightenment from whatever god. Well, he kinda talked me into it. So my belief changed a little due to the "unlimited possibilities".

5)Optimistic, or pessimistic?

This topic is linked to #3. How? After he said that there might be a higher form of living, he told me that that is the difference between optimistic and pessimistic. Being optimistic is to think there is a higher living above humans; pessimistic is to think that human IS the highest level of living and we will be living the lowest life after we die and reborned. "Which way of thinking is easier to live your life?" asked my deeply-intelligent-child-loving dad. My answer is optimistic(obvoiusly). Optimistic is sticking to reality, pessimistic is out of reality. For example, I look out the window right now, my optimistic thoughts are:what a nice day; and my pessimistic thoughts will be:oh man it's definetely going to rain. If you look at the clouds, optimistic thoughts: the sky is so blue and perfect;pessimistic:what if the sky cracks and demons come out? See? Being pessimistic is to imagine yourself in the worse(or worst)situation and not seeing the beauty of everything. Nobody likes to live that way. But some people are just born to be pessimistic, it is in your DNA and you cannot help but worry. So, here is a solution:stick to what you know, what is around you, and most importantly, STICK TO THE PRESENT AND NOT THE FUTURE. Looking at the future too much might make you miss a chance that is never going to happen again. And I learned that from my dad.

Oh man...that last one sounds like something that comes from an advice coloum......oh well, I don't want to adjust it.
So as you can see, my dad and I actually talked about a lot of unpractical stuff...but I really enjoyed it. And that's basically how I spend my "quality time" with my dad because that's probably the only thing that we have in common...With my mom, we have a lot more stuff to do. But the amound of fun I have is the same, in different ways. I like to sit down and talk, not as a listener or a talker, but both.^^

1 comment:

  1. It's very interesting. Your dad is a very insightful human being.

    ReplyDelete